Types of Child Care Centres
Under the Child Care Centre Act 1984 (Rev 2007) there are four (4) types of Child Care Centres in Malaysia that cater to specific needs. These are:
Home-based Child Care Centres
- Accepts 4 to 9 children for child care.
- Conducted in a privately-owned home.
- Required to register with JKM but not Local Authorities.
Institution-based Child Care Centres
- Can receive 10 or more children for child care.
- Can be operated by the private sector, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) or faith based organisations.
Workplace Child Care Centres
- Can receive 10 children or more for child care.
- Can be at the workplace or offsite by businesses or companies usually with subsidised fees.
Community-based Child Care Centres
- Can receive 10 children or more.
- Can receive fee assistance from the Federal Government or the State Government.
- Established at the initiative of the community to benefit low-income families in urban and rural areas.