Don't allow sick children into nurseries, operators told

22 July 2016 8:36 am

Posted By Ahmad Khairul

KOTA KINABALU: Operators of childcare centres are advised not to accept sick children to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, said district health officer Dr Jiloris Dony.

“Parents are urged not to send their sick children to nurseries as others will be easily infected.

“This is to control the outbreak of diseases, such as hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), which afflicts young children,” he said.

To date, the Health Department has visited and briefed 33 nurseries about preventive measures, which include isolation and concurrent disinfection.

He said nursery operators had the right to reject children who had runny nose and cough, red eyes, diarrhoea, chicken pox, measles, mumps, fleas, or other more serious diseases, such as HFMD and H1N1.

Jiloris said the department would issue letters through the operators to advise parents and seek their cooperation.

According to the department’s epidemiology bulletin, 1,326 HFMD cases were reported as of June 18.

The statistics saw an increase of 29.4 per cent compared with 1,025 cases in the same period last year.

Kota Kinabalu has the highest number of cases at 391, followed by Penampang (199), Tuaran (155), Tambunan (81), Tawau (75), Putatan (63), Sandakan (53), Beluran (47) and Sipitang (46).

Last week, the Health Ministry placed the country on alert following the unusual increase in the number of HFMD cases with Selangor, Johor and Kuala Lumpur topping the list.

A directive was issued in early May to all state Health Departments to step up monitoring and preventive efforts.